Medusa straight razor

Vse o britvah: katere imamo, katere bi radi imeli, kaksne smo naredili, kaj bi radi vedeli,...
Odgovori
Medusa Group
Medusa straight razor

Odgovor Napisal/-a Medusa Group » 30 Nov 2014, 12:34

Good Morning,
If I misunderstood what was written here by your Administrator,I can post here photos and news on Medusa Straight Razors.Our goal is to use steels never used by anyone to build straight razors,using innovative techniques.Some of these news are exclusive only to this forum. Historically, steels used for straight razors were produced for a variety uses in aeronautical field, turbines and civil and mechanical constructions.

Can i show this kind of example:

Slika

of Kayser Ellison Steel for straight razor

The steel 's chemistry was studied according to the environment in which the steel was to carry out its functions.Also the heat treatment has its importance.For example, when you have difficulties to sharpen a straight razor, does not necessarily mean that the steel is too hard, but it can also mean that swelled the austenitic grain and then the steel of your razor shows too much resistance to abrasion, due a wrong heat treatment.The heat treatment is to be implemented according to the measurements of the piece of steel that is then wants to use.For older steels these operations are consolidated,but for new steels, such as third generation of powders metallurgy martensitic stainless steels, some thicknesses were never manufactured,so did not know all the types of heat treatments that could be implemented, depending on the various uses, which were limited.Thanks to our studies on the phonons behavior in particular thickness of stainless steel (such as Medusa in 440C-S.R.P.photo).

Slika

we managed with Fantoni'S, Chris Reeve'S and the Crucible's help to make new steel in CPMS35VN of 6mm. thickness and then create razors 8/8.In fact, for 8/8 straight razor , if you want a cutting angle of the razor of 18-21 degrees, straight razor back must be 6 mm thick. Now the industry are also covered thicknesses of these steels and their different heat treatments have been created also by us.We had to create a scientific literature about the heat treatment of particular steel thicknesses used in the prosthesis industry and which adjust also for straight razors.For this reason the "Museo Scienza e Tecnica Milano" houses a straight razor made from steel prosthesis in CPMS125V.

Slika

Another in CPMS125V

Slika

the thicknesses of the first pieces of cpms30v steels were of 3.5 millimeters so,then to make an 8/8 straight razor we had to use the frameback artificie.

Slika

for example,in this Medusa straight razor in CPMS30V for Bullfrog powered by Proraso with "green Proraso" handle.

so then they were created for us six millimeters thickness straight razors in CPMS35VN and we no longer done straight razors with frameback.(like these on your forum).

For these kind of steel we use specific treatments in industry to our specifications.

Other types of steels, stainless steels and not stainless steel we treat them in our laboratory.

We also build Japanese straight razor and style Japan and we also use the differentiated temper

Slika

Slika

The steel used for this kind of japan straight razor is a tamahagane manufactured by Medusa Group, throwing in a pit filled with hot coals iron and cast iron and other parts of various low alloy steel .We used iron oxide to transform the excessive carbon monoxide, making it evaporate .The first photo shows the dendritic structure on the blade.

This is a photo that shows the Medusa style Japan straight razor with differentiated temperer (Hamon).

Slika

if you have questions I will answer

thank you,best reguards,sincerely,
Andrea

Uporabniški avatar
miha
Site Admin

Re: Medusa straight razor

Odgovor Napisal/-a miha » 30 Nov 2014, 13:17

Hey Andrea, very nice descriotion of your work, thank you :). i always liked the hamon, did you do this tempering due to two types ot steel hardness or more for aesthetical reasons (eg Charlie from Lewis razors said once if I'm not mistaken he does it for the aesthetics). If i think of your razors my ideal would be a 8/8 with strong hamon line in honey horn or some nkce wood scales with a contrasty wedge (like the blue one you used there,.. I actuly have a recon stone like that that waits to become a wedge on probably ebony scales for Ern Ator)
britev.si ruleeees :)

Bajkman

Odgovor Napisal/-a Bajkman » 30 Nov 2014, 14:01

@Medusa Group welcome! ;)

Medusa Group

Odgovor Napisal/-a Medusa Group » 30 Nov 2014, 14:38

@Admin Miha:

The differentiated hardening is done by applying the mud on the straight razor back after the annealing, before quenching, and during the shutdown phase (in hot oil), mud jumps off and a part will be less hard .After we make tempering . Usually we do annealing, three normalizations, three temper (in the case of differentiated hardening put the mud before the third quenching) and two or tempering.Usually we do subcooling treatment with dry ice before the tempering temperature.We do these things in order to refine the austenitic grain.Hardening differentiated (hamon) is done for stylistic requirements,not technical requirements.After quenching,multiple tempering are fine to precipitate the secondary carbides of chromium and vanadium and make harder the steel with chromium and vanadium (low alloy or high alloy type of steel).

@Bajkman:
thank you for your welcome.

Uporabniški avatar
Paolo antonio tondi

Odgovor Napisal/-a Paolo antonio tondi » 30 Nov 2014, 21:47

@Medusa Group welcome! ;)

Uporabniški avatar
miha
Site Admin

Odgovor Napisal/-a miha » 30 Nov 2014, 21:48